Interesante

Lugares históricos en Macedonia

Lugares históricos en Macedonia


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

1. Heraklea Linkestis

Se cree que Heraklea Linkestis fue fundada por el rey Felipe II de Macedonia alrededor del siglo IV a. C., antes de ser conquistada por los romanos aproximadamente en el siglo II a. C.

Los restos bien conservados de este asentamiento que alguna vez fue próspero ahora se pueden ver en el sitio, incluido un teatro y baños, así como un templo judío y una iglesia. Uno de los aspectos más famosos de Heraklea Linkestis es su serie de vívidos mosaicos.


El baño turco en Dojran es un edificio que se origina en el período del Imperio Otomano y hoy representa un importante edificio histórico y cultural.

La fortaleza Isar es un hito especial para la ciudad, un lugar donde pasarás tiempo de calidad aprendiendo mucho sobre la historia de Shtip y al mismo tiempo te encontrarás


Sitios culturales e históricos de Stip, Macedonia


Stip fue el centro cultural y comercial más grande del este de Macedonia desde la antigüedad. Algunos historiadores dicen que Stip se formó en el año 2500 a.C. En primer lugar, era una pequeña ciudad que con un pequeño número de casas debajo del bosque Isar. Los historiadores creen que Stip se fundó a partir de las personas que abandonaron la cercana ciudad anciana de Bargala. Bargala fue ciudad antigua de tipo cerrado, rodeada de murallas y este pueblo construyó Astibo, que fue el primer pueblo de tipo abierto. Se construyeron casas a lo largo de la colina Isar, y en tiempos de peligro y guerras, la gente se escondía en el bosque en la cima de la colina. La ciudad se llamó Astibo mientras estaba en jurisdicción de Paeonia. Paeonia fue ese estado de tiempo que en el norte de Macedonia. Se cree que la frontera con la antigua Macedonia estaba al sur, en algún lugar cercano a la antigua ciudad de Stobi. Astibo era un lugar importante porque se encontraba en el cruce de caminos hacia el sur y más hacia el este.

Hay algunos creyentes históricos, que Alexander Macedonian en el camino hacia el Medio Oriente, ha visitado y se quedó un poco en Stip.

En la época del imperio romano, cambiaron el nombre de la ciudad. El nombre romano de Stip es Stipion. Stipion seguía siendo el centro cultural del este de Macedonia, pero seguía siendo una pequeña ciudad con pocas casas en el lado este de la colina Isar.

Stip comenzó a crecer mientras estaba bajo el imperio otomano. Es importante que los turcos otomanos cambien nuevamente el nombre de la ciudad. Lo llamaron Ishtip. Los documentos de esa época, fueron los primeros documentos escritos sobre la estructura de la ciudad y sus partes, que Otomant los llamó - maala. Según esos documentos, había maala maala macedonia debajo del Isar y Tuzlia, maala judía debajo del macedonio y cerca del río Otinja, y maala turca en el lado opuesto del río cerca de la mezquita, que todavía existe en Stip. Es importante decir que los turcos otomanos construyeron su maala por separado, sin conexión con otros maala. Más tarde al oeste del primer maala turco, se construyeron otros dos maala, que tampoco estaban conectados entre sí. Cada maala turco tenía su propia mezquita. Una de esa mezquita en el maala turco más nuevo, la mezquita Husamedin Pasha, aún permanece sin terminar.

No existen documentos escritos confiables sobre la popularidad en Stip desde la década de 1790. Los primeros documentos de esa época describían a Stip con una popularidad de 3000 a 4000. Parece que Stip tuvo un rápido crecimiento más adelante, porque en los documentos de 1900 está escrito que Stip tenía 20.900 ciudadanos, 10.900 macedonios, 8.700 turcos, 800 judíos y 500 romaníes.
una.

Escuela en Novo Selo


En el patio de la iglesia Sv Bogorodica en Novo Selo hay una escuela donde solía enseñar el revolucionario Goce Delcev. Junto a ella está la casa donde vivía el revolucionario. Hoy es de propiedad privada, pero restaurado con un estilo auténtico. La iglesia tiene un escondite donde solía esconderse Goce Delcev. En las paredes de la iglesia hay dos escondites más donde solían esconderse otros 30 hombres. Había un túnel bajo el trono del arzobispo que conducía desde la iglesia hasta las casas del pueblo. Así escaparon de los turcos.

Fortaleza de Isar


Entre los dos ríos, a 150 metros de altura en la colina rocosa sobre el pueblo, se encuentra la Fortaleza Stip, o mejor conocida como el Isar.

La gente dice que la fortaleza fue construida por el rey Marko, mientras que su hermana María estaba construyendo una carretera y un puente a través del cañón para que la gente pudiera cruzar el río Bregalnica. A pesar de que le aconsejó a su hermano que construyera cosas que fueran útiles para la gente en lugar de una fortaleza que existirá solo durante su vida, el rey Marko fue terco y construyó la fortaleza. La predicción de la inteligente María se hizo realidad: la fortaleza fue de corta duración. Durante mucho tiempo después de eso, la gente habló de la buena acción de María, cantando una canción cada vez que pasaban por el camino a través del cañón que ella construyó, mientras que la fortaleza del rey Marko pronto estaba en ruinas.

Se desconoce el momento exacto de la construcción de la fortaleza. Solo se puede decir que data de la Alta Edad Media, teniendo todas las características del arte medieval. Ubicado en lo alto, custodiaba la ciudad de Stip en el estado de Czar Samoil. En el siglo XIII, la fortaleza estaba bajo administración búlgara y luego bajo el gobernante serbio Stefan Decanski. En 1382 fue conquistada por los turcos. Después de que se inventaron las armas de fuego, la fortaleza quedó desierta. Parte del material de construcción de la fortaleza era de la antigua ciudad de Astibo.

Sv. Jovan Krstitel, siglo XIV


En la margen derecha del río Otinja, en el lado sur de la colina donde se encuentra el "Isar", se construyó una iglesia dedicada a San Juan Bautista en 1350.

Sv. Jovan Krstitel, siglo XIV

Es una iglesia de una sola habitación sin cúpula. Su construcción fue apoyada por Jovan Probistipovic, déspota Oliver & # 8217s terrateniente. Hoy solo quedan fragmentos de las pinturas al fresco. Las pinturas del zar Konstantin y la zarina Elena se pueden ver en el muro sur alrededor de la entrada.

La iglesia de San Nikola, pueblo de Krupiste


En la salida noreste del pueblo de Krupiste, debajo de la carretera Stip-Kocani, en la margen derecha del río Bregalnica, hay una iglesia medieval dedicada a santa San Nicolás, y se descubrieron restos de una antigua basílica cristiana. debajo de ello.

La iglesia St. Nikola & # 8217s es una construcción de dimensiones modestas, hecha de piedra rota de tamaño desigual y elementos incorporados de la escultura cristiana primitiva con signos y letras encriptadas. Es una iglesia de una sola nave, con arco de medio punto y ábside semicircular en el exterior. La entrada está por el lado oeste.

En la iglesia se conservan dos inscripciones. La primera dice que la iglesia fue construida durante el reinado del obispo Makarie en 1625, y pintada al fresco en 1627, mientras que la segunda menciona el nombre del maestro Isaija Debreli, quien en 1880, cuando se presume que el pórtico de la Se ha construido una iglesia con arco de medio círculo, se ha pintado y se han realizado determinadas intervenciones sobre los frescos de la naos. Las personas que visten trajes nacionales modernos se notan en las pinturas al fresco del porche, realizadas por este artista de frescos.

Según investigaciones posteriores y conclusiones de Blaga Aleksova, los orígenes de la iglesia se han ubicado en el período de tiempo entre el siglo IX y el X, y en 1975, durante las últimas excavaciones, se descubrió que la iglesia fue construida sobre los cimientos. de una antigua basílica cristiana de tres naves con las siguientes dimensiones: 16 m de largo y 14,9 m de ancho.

St. Gorgi, Gorni Kozjak


La iglesia medieval de San Jorge se ha levantado en el lugar donde, según algunos supuestos científicos, existía anteriormente el asentamiento llamado Kozjak, a unos diez kilómetros al sureste de la ciudad de Shtip, en la localidad de Gorni Kozjak y cerca del localidad arqueológica de Bargala.

St. Gjorgji, pueblo de Gorni Kozjak, siglo IX / X (XI / XII)

Existen diferentes teorías y supuestos sobre el momento de su construcción. Algunos afirman que fue construido en el período del siglo XI al XII, pero un gran número de científicos lo ubican en el período del siglo IX al X, es decir, en el momento del bautizo de los eslovenos a lo largo del valle del río Bregalnica.

La iglesia está construida con rocas de río astilladas, con mortero de cal apagada y con muchas decoraciones tardías de Bargala. Tiene una base de cruz encriptada con cúpula de tambor octogonal. Su nártex tiene bóveda de crucería de piedra, conectada a la naos a través del triforio.

Hay una gran bífora tanto en el lado norte como en el sur.

La investigación muestra que durante el siglo XIV la iglesia fue renovada, mientras que en el lado sur del nártex se ha construido adicionalmente una capilla de base cuadrada y tambor semicircular, se han cerrado las partes superiores del bifores y se ha restaurado la iglesia. decorado y pintado al fresco por tercera vez consecutiva.

De la capa original de arte al fresco en los dos arcos semicirculares, solo el sur tiene un fragmento de fresco que aún permanece y que representa el rostro de un santo.

Galería de iconos en la iglesia St. Nikola - Štip


Uno de los objetos sacros más representativos, construido por el ejemplo de la iglesia Uspenie na Presveta Bogorodica (Dormición de la Virgen) en Novo Selo - Štip que fue construida por el proto-maestro Andreja Damjanov, es la iglesia de San Nikola en Štip, construido en el sitio de la antigua iglesia de Sifieva dedicada a San Nikola (1341) por el maestro constructor Gjorgi Novakov-Dzongar. Para la renovación-reconstrucción de esta iglesia atestigua la placa de inscripción empotrada sobre la entrada principal occidental, cuyo texto dice que la iglesia fue construida en la época del Metropolitano de Kustendil y Stip - Ignatija, el 10 de mayo de 1867.

La galería se formó en 1990 y alberga un rico fondo de obras de arte de las iglesias y monasterios de la región de Bregalnica. La exposición de la galería, enriquecida con los iconos del gran iconostasio de la iglesia & # 8217s naos, las decoraciones al fresco y el baldaquino abundantemente grabado (tablero semicircular apoyado en cuatro postes en el altar donde se ejerce la sagrada comunión), son verdaderas rarezas para el historia histórica de la iglesia de bellas artes en este suelo. Esta exposición está compuesta por obras de arte-íconos, realizadas por muchos de nuestros zografos (pintores de íconos) conocidos y anónimos que trabajaron en las iglesias y monasterios de Macedonia Oriental en los siglos XVII, XVII y XIX, así como antiguos libros eclesiásticos impresos, putiri (vasos de comunión) dorados, cruces de plata grabadas, reliquias y otras valiosas exhibiciones sacras.

En la parte sur de la galería de esta iglesia se presentan 29 iconos que datan de los siglos XVIII y XIX, por los pintores de iconos: Dziko del pueblo Osoj, Konstantin zograph, Petre Novev Pacarev del pueblo Tresonce, Krste zograph de Veles, Adamce zograph y otros.

Enumeraríamos los siguientes iconos: San Kirik y Julita, Natividad de Cristo, Santísima Trinidad, Virgen María y Cristo, San Jovan con el zitie (biografía del santo y # 8217), etc.

En la parte occidental de la galería se presentan 32 iconos, la mayoría de ellos del siglo XIX. Los pintores de estos iconos fueron: Danail Kocov de Stip, Stanislav Dospeski, Krste zograph de Veles y otros.

Más importantes entre ellos son los que presentan a Jesucristo, Santa Nikola Deisis, Santa Madre de Dios - Umilitelna, etc.

En la parte norte de la galería se presentan 31 iconos, obras de los pintores de iconos: Petre Novev, Isaija Debarlija, Konstantin Andonov.

Con su pintura y colores distinguen los iconos con presentación de San Simeón (uno de los doce apóstoles de Cristo & # 8217), Santa Mina, Bautismo de Cristo y otros.

En el iconostasio de la capilla norte hay 16 iconos, obras de los autores: Krste de Veles, Atanasie, Dziko de Osoj, Atanas de Krusevo, etc. Subrayamos los iconos: San Pantelejmon, San Apóstol Filip y San Jovan. En el iconostasio de la capilla sur hay 13 iconos, la mayoría de ellos pintados por el pintor de iconos Krste de Veles. Mencionamos: Transfiguración de Cristo, Apóstol Toma, San Dimitrija y otros.

La atención de los visitantes es principalmente atraída por los iconos que se encuentran en el gran iconostasio en la naos de la iglesia y hay 67 de ellos, todos ellos son obras de uno de los zogramas más famosos del siglo XIX, más precisamente de 1890, y este es el pintor de iconos Dimitar A. Papradiski.

De todos ellos destacamos los iconos con presentación de la Asamblea de los Apóstoles, el Apóstol Pavle, San Haralampie, San Simeón Stolpnik, La Anunciación, el Arcángel Gabriel etc.

En el espacio de la galería de esta iglesia hay siete vitrinas donde se han exhibido más Salterios (libros con varios textos eclesiásticos), impresos en Moscú en la primera mitad del siglo XIX.

Minei (libros que describen todos los servicios para celebrar a la Santa Madre de Dios, San Jovan Preteca (San Juan Precursor) y otros santos, divididos en doce meses)

Evangelios (libros con textos de los cuatro evangelistas: Mateja, Marko, Luka y Jovan)

Trebnici (libros que hablan sobre el corte de pelo de los monjes, las costumbres funerarias, el bautismo en agua, etc.)

Entre las exhibiciones de la iglesia en estas vitrinas hay varias coronas de boda de fines del siglo XIX, más Ibrici de plata (vasijas en forma de diente que los sacerdotes usaban para lavar), putiri (copas plateadas y doradas para la comunión), copas con cucharas de plata para la comunión. , cruces plateadas para besar, lámparas icono plateadas y muchas otras.

Al final, solo agregaríamos que esta exposición de la galería en esta iglesia representativa con sus exhibiciones que muestran la belleza y los valores del patrimonio cultural sacro propiedad de la región de Bregalnica, es una parte importante de la vida de las personas en nuestra historia renacentista. El visitante realmente tiene qué ver y deleitarse espiritualmente en la iglesia museo-galería en la iglesia St. Nikola en la ciudad de Stip.


Lugares históricos en Macedonia - Historia

Cronología de la historia de Macedonia

Macedonia está ubicada en el centro de los Balcanes del Sur, al norte de la antigua Hellas (Grecia), al este de Iliria y al oeste de Tracia. El nombre "Macedonia" es el nombre más antiguo que se conserva de un país del continente europeo. Los antiguos macedonios eran una nación distinta, étnica, lingüística y culturalmente diferente de sus vecinos. Sus orígenes se encuentran en el antiguo sustrato brigio (frigio) que ocupaba todo el territorio macedonio y en el superestrato indoeuropeo, que se instaló aquí a finales del 2º milenio. La evidencia arqueológica muestra que la antigua civilización europea floreció en Macedonia entre el 7000 y el 3500 a. C.

[808-399 a. C.] Caranus establece el antiguo reino macedonio y es el primer rey macedonio conocido (808-778 aC). Alejandro I "Filhellene" (498-454 a. C.) gastó el reino y luchó como aliado persa en las guerras greco-persas. El hijo de Alejandro, Perdiccas II (453 - 413 a. C.) instiga un conflicto entre Atenas y Esparta que se convierte en una guerra del Peloponeso de 27 años que resulta en el agotamiento de casi todas las ciudades-estado griegas. Arquelao (413-399 a. C.) convierte a Macedonia en una potencia económica y reorganiza el ejército macedonio.

[359-336 a. C.] Felipe II (359-336 a. C.) eleva a Macedonia a la mayor potencia europea después de someter a todos los vecinos de Macedonia: ilirios, tracios y griegos. La batalla de Chaeronea, donde los macedonios derrotaron a los griegos el 2 de agosto de 338 a. C., marca el final de la historia griega y el comienzo de la era macedonia. El antiguo escritor griego Teopompo declara a Felipe como `` el hombre más grande que jamás haya dado Europa ''.

[336-323 a. C.] El hijo de Filipo, Alejandro III el Grande (356-323 a. C.) lleva a los ejércitos macedonios a Asia y conquista el Imperio Persa. Macedonia se convierte en el imperio más grande del mundo que se extiende desde Europa hasta el norte de África y la India.

[323-300 a. C.] La muerte de Alejandro Magno sumerge a la nación macedonia en una guerra civil mientras los principales generales macedonios luchan por el dominio del Imperio. Hacia el 300 a. C., el Imperio macedonio se divide entre las dinastías de los generales de Alejandro, Antígono I (Macedonia y Grecia), Ptolomeo I (Egipto) y Seleuco I (Asia).

[300-146 a. C.] Bajo Antigonus II Gonatas (276-239), el nieto de Antigonus I, Macedonia logra un gobierno estable y fortalece su ocupación de Grecia. Su nieto Felipe V (222-179 a. C.) choca con Roma, que comenzó a expandirse hacia el este. Las dos "guerras macedonias" contra los romanos terminan en la derrota de los ejércitos de Felipe V. Macedonia pierde toda Grecia y queda reducida a sus fronteras originales. En la tercera "Guerra de Macedonia", Roma derrota al ejército macedonio bajo el mando del último rey macedonio, el hijo de Filipo, Perseo (179-168 a. C.). Perseo muere prisionero en Italia, fracasa una rebelión contra el dominio romano, y en 146 Macedonia es una provincia romana.

[65 a. C.] Roma conquista el reino macedonio seléucida en Asia bajo su último rey Antíoco XII.

[30 a. C.] La victoria romana sobre Cleopatra VII pone fin al último de los descendientes macedonios en Egipto, y con él a los últimos restos del Imperio macedonio.

[51-63 d. C.] `` Y una visión se le apareció a Pablo en la noche. Allí estaba un macedonio, y le oró, diciendo: Pasa a Macedonia y ayúdanos '' (Biblia, Hechos 16: 9). El apóstol Pablo y sus epístolas predican el cristianismo por primera vez en suelo europeo, en las ciudades macedonias de Filipos, Tesalónica y Berea. La primera europea en convertirse al cristianismo es una niña macedonia llamada Lydia.

[395] El Imperio Romano se divide en Occidente y Oriente. Macedonia cae al este (bizantino), un imperio multinacional que se extiende por tres continentes en su apogeo. Los primeros emperadores bizantinos son romanos, pero con el tiempo, las personas de origen macedonio, sirio, armenio, frigio (amorio) y de otros orígenes étnicos se convierten en gobernantes.

[535] Los eslavos invadieron Macedonia, Grecia, Iliria y Tracia y se mezclaron con los macedonios, griegos, ilirios y tracios.

[855-886] Dos macedonios, los hermanos Cirilo y Metodio de Salónica, la grande y primera ciudad del Macedonios como lo describen los historiadores bizantinos, crear el primer alfabeto eslavo y promover el cristianismo entre los pueblos eslavos. Los discípulos de Cirilo y Metodio, Clemente y Naum de Ohrid, difundieron el cristianismo en el idioma eslavo y establecieron la primera universidad eslava, la Escuela Literaria de Ohrid.

[867-1025] Basilio I el macedonio (867-886) es el primer macedonio en convertirse en emperador bizantino, fundador de la dinastía macedonia. El imperio alcanza su cenit en un período conocido como la `` Edad de Oro '', mientras estuvo gobernado por la dinastía macedonia desde 867 hasta 1025.

[Primera mitad del siglo X] La enseñanza del Bogomil aparece en Macedonia y se convierte en un movimiento popular a gran escala que se extiende por los Balcanes y Europa.

[976-1018] Con el debilitamiento del Imperio Bizantino, los eslavos macedonios se rebelan contra la autoridad búlgara y bajo el zar Samuel crearon un fuerte reino medieval eslavo macedonio con su centro en Ohrid. Samuel amplió su reino conquistando partes de Grecia, Epiro, Bulgaria, Albania, Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro y Dalmacia, pero es derrotado por el emperador bizantino Basilio II el macedonio en 1014. En 1018 su imperio es retomado por Bizancio.

[1040-1072] Estallaron dos levantamientos importantes contra el dominio bizantino en Macedonia, uno dirigido por el nieto de Samuel, Petar Deljan (1040), y el otro por Gjorgji Vojteh (1072).

[1389] A pesar de las rebeliones y las efímeras ocupaciones serbias y búlgaras de los siglos XIII y XIV, Macedonia siguió siendo territorio bizantino hasta que los turcos otomanos la conquistaron en 1389.

[1564-1565] La rebelión de Mariovo-Prilep es el primer movimiento de resistencia macedonio significativo registrado contra la ocupación turca.

[1689] El levantamiento de Karposh sigue en el norte de Macedonia. El líder Karposh es capturado y ejecutado en el Puente de Piedra en Skopje.

[1767] Bajo la presión del patriarca griego en Estambul, los turcos abolieron el arzobispado de Ohrid, que había mantenido viva el alma espiritual de los macedonios desde los tiempos del zar Samuel.

[1822] Estalla el Levantamiento del Negus, una insurrección de los macedonios por la liberación en el sur de Macedonia.

[1828-1878] Grecia (1828), Serbia (1830) y Bulgaria (1878) se independizan del dominio turco y muestran aspiraciones territoriales en territorio macedonio. Aparece la llamada & quot; Pregunta macedonia & quot. L os griegos, búlgaros y serbios compiten en su afán por ocupar Macedonia y al mismo tiempo ponen obstáculos a la independencia macedonia.

[1876] El levantamiento de Razlovtzi en el este de Macedonia contra el dominio turco presagia la lucha de liberación nacional macedonia.

[1878-1879] Los macedonios se rebelan de nuevo en el este de Macedonia contra la ocupación turca con el levantamiento de Krersna. Los luchadores por la libertad de Macedonia adoptan una constitución conocida como las Reglas del Comité de Levantamiento de Macedonia. El levantamiento ejerce una fuerte influencia en el crecimiento de la conciencia nacional macedonia.

[1891] El obispo Teodosio de Skopje comienza una campaña por una Iglesia ortodoxa macedonia independiente y la restauración del arzobispado de Ohrid, que había sido abolido en 1767. Los búlgaros destruyen efectivamente la idea.

[1893] Se funda la Organización Revolucionaria Interna de Macedonia (VMRO) en Salónica. Bajo el lema "Macedonia para los macedonios", sus objetivos son la libertad nacional y el establecimiento de un estado macedonio independiente. Georgi (Gotse) Delchev se convierte en su líder.

[1903] Los revolucionarios macedonios & quotGemidzii & quot llevan a cabo una serie de ataques contra varios edificios en Salónica para llamar la atención del público europeo hacia la difícil situación del pueblo macedonio. El 2 de agosto de 1903, VMRO lanza el Levantamiento de Ilinden contra los turcos y declara la independencia de Macedonia. Los revolucionarios liberan la ciudad de Krushevo y establecen una República con un gobierno. Los turcos aplastan brutalmente el levantamiento. Krushevo es quemado hasta los cimientos y más de 150 pueblos macedonios destruidos. En este mismo año, Krste Misirkov de Pella (Postol), el fundador de la ortografía y el lenguaje literario macedonio moderno, publica su "Sobre las cuestiones macedonias", en el que proyecta los principios para la estandarización del lenguaje literario macedonio.

[1908] La revolución de los Jóvenes Turcos cierra el Imperio Otomano. La organización revolucionaria macedonia, a través de Jane Sandanski y el recién formado Partido Federal Nacional, participa activamente en el movimiento de los Jóvenes Turcos para lograr la autonomía de Macedonia.

[1912-13] Grecia, Serbia y Bulgaria unen fuerzas y, con la ayuda de 100.000 macedonios, derrotan al ejército turco en Macedonia. A Macedonia se le niega la independencia y el Tratado de Bucarest (agosto de 1913) divide el país entre Grecia, Serbia y Bulgaria. Grecia toma la mitad sur más grande de Macedonia (Macedonia del Egeo) y la renombra a & quot; Grecia del Norte & quot ;. El ejército griego incendia la ciudad de Kukush, el lugar de nacimiento del líder macedonio Georgi (Goce) Delcev. Bulgaria anexó la región de Pirin y abolió el nombre macedonio, y Serbia tomó el control de la región de Vardar y la renombró como & quotSerbia del Sur & quot.

[1914-1918] En 1914, estalla la Primera Guerra Mundial. Bulgaria se pone del lado de las potencias centrales y en 1915 ocupa la parte serbia de Macedonia (Vardar). La derrota de las potencias centrales y el final de la Primera Guerra Mundial en 1918 vio la partición de 1913 reconfirmada y Macedonia queda dividida.

[ 1919] En la conferencia de paz de París se ignoran las demandas de los macedonios de una Macedonia independiente y unida. El Tratado de Versalles sanciona la partición de Macedonia. Vardar Macedonia se vuelve a incorporar con el resto de Serbia y en el nuevo Reino de los serbios, croatas y eslovenos, más tarde rebautizado como Yugoslavia.

[1924] El Manifiesto de Mayo, resolución del Partido Comunista de Yugoslavia sobre el derecho del pueblo macedonio a la autodeterminación. Grecia imprime la cartilla & quotAbecedar & quot en el idioma macedonio para las necesidades de los niños macedonios en la Macedonia del Egeo, pero se retiró antes de llegar a las escuelas.

[1925] VMRO (United) se funda en Viena bajo el liderazgo de Dimitar Vlahov. Su principal objetivo es liberar a Macedonia dentro de sus fronteras geográficas y económicas y crear una unidad política independiente que se convertirá en un miembro igual de la futura Federación Balcánica.

[1935] El Movimiento Nacional de Macedonia MANAPO se establece en la parte Vardar de Macedonia.

[1936] La Sociedad Literaria de Macedonia es fundada en Sofía por destacados escritores macedonios.

[1940] La Quinta Conferencia Nacional del Partido Comunista de Yugoslavia aprueba una resolución sobre la igualdad y la autodeterminación del pueblo macedonio.

[1941] Estalla la Segunda Guerra Mundial y Bulgaria como aliado fascista de la Alemania de Hitler ocupa casi toda Macedonia (tanto en Vardar como en el Egeo) y colabora con los nazis para la salida de los judíos de Salónica a los campos de concentración. El 11 de octubre de 1941, los macedonios lanzan una guerra por la liberación de Macedonia de la ocupación búlgara.

[1943] El sentimiento antifascista presta apoyo al creciente movimiento comunista y se establece el Partido Comunista de Macedonia. Se funda la primera unidad del Ejército de Macedonia y se forman órganos gubernamentales (consejos de liberación nacional) en todo el territorio de Macedonia. El Cuartel General del Ejército de Liberación Nacional (NOV) publica un manifiesto de los objetivos de la guerra de liberación.

[1944] El 2 de agosto de 1944, 2282 años después de la Batalla de Chaeronea y en el 41º aniversario del levantamiento de Ilinden, la Asamblea Antifascista de Liberación Nacional de Macedonia (ASNOM) proclama un estado macedonio. Representantes de todas partes de Macedonia se reúnen para la ocasión y deciden sobre la constitución de un estado macedonio moderno como miembro de la nueva federación yugoslava. El presidium de ASNOM se forma con Metodia Andonov Chento como su primer presidente.

[1945] Se funda el primer gobierno de la República Popular de Macedonia (16 de abril) con Lazar Kolisevski como presidente.

[1946] Se adopta la primera constitución de la República Popular de Macedonia. Inicio de la educación universitaria en macedonio (Facultad de Filosofía).

[1946] Bulgaria, bajo el liderazgo de Geogi Dimitrov, reconoce oficialmente la existencia de la nación macedonia y el derecho de la parte Pirin de Macedonia a adherirse a la República Popular de Macedonia. La mayoría de la población en la parte Pirin de Macedonia se declara macedonia en un censo gratuito.

[1946-1949] En la Guerra Civil Griega (1946-1949) que siguió a la Segunda Guerra Mundial, los macedonios de Macedonia del Egeo luchan del lado del Partido Comunista Griego (KKE), ya que les prometió sus derechos después de la guerra. Aproximadamente la mitad de los 35.000 soldados del DAG son macedonios. En el territorio liberado de Macedonia del Egeo se abren 87 escuelas macedonias, se publican periódicos en macedonio y se crean asociaciones culturales y artísticas. Pero después de algunos años de éxito del KKE, los comunistas pierden la guerra y los macedonios vuelven a ser despojados de sus derechos humanos. 28.000 niños macedonios del Egeo, conocidos como "niños refugiados", son separados de sus familias y se establecen en Europa del Este y la Unión Soviética en un intento por salvarlos del terror que siguió. Miles de macedonios perdieron la vida y un gran número de pueblos macedonios fueron quemados hasta los cimientos.

[1956] En el censo búlgaro de 1956, la mayoría de la población de Pirin Macedonia se declara nuevamente macedonia. Desde entonces, Bulgaria, bajo el nacionalista Todor Zhivkov, revierte su decisión de reconocer a la nación macedonia y una vez más prohíbe la libre expresión de la nacionalidad y el idioma macedonios.

[1958] Se restaura el arzobispado de Ohrid, abolido en 1767 por los turcos otomanos bajo la presión griega.

[1967] Se funda la Academia de Artes y Ciencias de Macedonia. Se proclama la autocefalia de la Iglesia ortodoxa macedonia.

[1986] El periódico griego Elefteros Tipos anuncia que el primer ministro Papandreu en las conversaciones con el miembro de la presidencia yugoslava Stane Dolanc acordó reconocer el idioma macedonio como uno de los idiomas oficiales en Yugoslavia.

[1988] El primer ministro griego Papandreu y Karolos Papulias de Asuntos Exteriores acuerdan reconocer el idioma macedonio en Grecia. El asunto del banquero & quotKoskotas & quot; derroca al gobierno del PASOK, y los documentos nunca fueron firmados.

[1989] La Organización Unida de Macedonia - Ilinden (OMO Ilinden) se funda en Pirin Macedonia, exigiendo autonomía cultural y nacional para los macedonios en la parte Pirin de Macedonia.

[1991] Yugoslavia federal se desintegra cuando Eslovenia, Croacia y Bosnia declaran su independencia. En un referéndum el 8 de septiembre, los macedonios proclaman la independencia. Kiro Gligorov es elegido primer presidente de Macedonia independiente. Se adopta una nueva constitución, que declara a la República de Macedonia como un estado soberano, independiente, civil y democrático, y reconoce la completa igualdad de los macedonios y las minorías étnicas en el país.

[1993] Macedonia está admitida en las Naciones Unidas.

[1994] Ante el temor de que Macedonia pueda presentar un reclamo histórico, cultural y lingüístico sobre la Macedonia del Egeo, Grecia insiste en que no existe una nación macedonia y que los macedonios no tienen derecho a usar el nombre "Macedonia". Grecia impone un embargo comercial a Macedonia debido a la negativa macedonia de cambiar el nombre del país, la nación y el idioma, y ​​cambiar el artículo 47 de la Constitución que especifica que "la República de Macedonia se preocupa por la estatua y los derechos de las personas pertenecientes al pueblo macedonio en la vecindad países . Al mismo tiempo, Grecia se retiró de las conversaciones greco-macedonias, supervisada por la ONU como mediadora, y bloqueó cualquier aceptación de Macedonia en las instituciones internacionales utilizando su poder para vetar a nuevos miembros.

[1995] Macedonia se convierte en miembro del Consejo de Europa. Human Rights Watch condena a Grecia por la opresión de su gran minoría étnica macedonia, que Grecia niega que exista. Tanto Amnistía Internacional como el Parlamento Europeo también instan a Grecia a que reconozca la existencia del idioma macedonio y detenga la opresión de los macedonios étnicos en el territorio macedonio del que se apropió en 1913.


Sitios históricos

Carnoosie está construido en una de las colinas altas de Edgefield & rsquos y es el mejor ejemplo de estilo victoriano italiano de la ciudad y los rsquos. Fue el hogar de Edgefield & rsquos único padre e hijo que fueron gobernador y vicegobernador John Calhoun Sheppard y James Orlando Sheppard.

Courthouse Square es el corazón del centro de Edgefield y ha cambiado poco en función o apariencia general y encanto en más de 225 años.

Este edificio histórico, que una vez fue la casa del capitán James Miller, fue construido en ca. 1840. Se trasladó a su ubicación actual en la década de 1990 y se transformó en un museo con exhibiciones de última generación que detallan la diversa historia del condado de Edgefield.

La pieza central de Courthouse Square es el Palacio de Justicia del Condado de Edgefield. El sitio del tribunal para el Condado de Edgefield se eligió por primera vez en 1785 cuando se estableció el Condado de Edgefield.

It was first known as the Edgefield Village Baptist Church and the first service in the new church was held on Saturday, 19 April 1823.

Edgefield Methodism is probably as old as Edgefield. Circuit riders conducted services at Edgefield Court House in the late 1790s. The first Edgefield Methodist Church was at Pottersville, one mile north of the present town limits.

In 1826, Furman University (one of South Carolina's most selective private universities) began right here as a Men's Academy and Theological Institute. Furman relocated to Greenville in 1850, and a small monument stands testament to their Edgefield roots.

As a continuation of the local pottery tradition, the Doctor Arthur and Esther Goldberg Groundhog Kiln was built in 2011. It is a traditional wood-burning kiln similar to those used over 200 years ago in this area.

Still a private residence today, Halcyon Grove was built in 1815 and was most notably occupied by Andrew Pickens, Jr. (one of our Ten Governors). Architectural features include hidden doors, beautiful feather-painted wainscoting, lattice columns and the double-tiered piazza (to name just a few).

Horn Creek is one of the oldest Baptist churches in the "Backcountry" of South Carolina. Built in 1790, it is a rare example of the one-room meeting style church that reflects the simplicity and frugality of early settlers.

This church was built in 1901, but was formed in the years right after the Civil War. There is a cemetery directly behind the building.

This home was built on the site of the first residence in Edgefield, dating from approximately 1762. The present house was built, circa 1843. In 1873, Alfred J. Norris, a prominent Edgefield lawyer and businessman purchased the property. In 1875 his daughter, Mamie Norris, was born here. She later married James Hammond Tillman who became Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina.

Explore American history and the spirit of a young, new nation.

Captain Daniel Bird Jr., a native Virginian, moved to the area after the Revolutionary War. Initially living at Halcyon Grove on Buncombe Street, he later purchased land a mile from the courthouse to build what is now Oakley Park Museum, in 1835. Captain Bird became a wealthy cotton planter, also breeding fine race horses. His life was a mix of success and tragedy. In only a few years he left Edgefield to begin a new life in the territory of Florida. What he has left behind is a truly beautiful example of Neoclassical architecture.

Within the walls of Oakley Park are also stories of families who once called this mansion their home. These individuals lived through unprecedented challenges, dreamed of what America could become and bravely participated in creating the country we love. Immerse yourself in an earlier century and find inspiration in the art and ideals of early America. Topics covered in the collection include the following: War of 1812, Mexican-American War, Second Seminole War, Nullification Crisis, Dave The Potter, the Civil War, Reconstruction, and the Spanish-American War.

Oakley Park Museum is a privately owned 501(c)(3) organization with a mission to protect, preserve and promote a unique artifact of American history for all to immerse themselves within. The museum is available for tours, meetings and private events.

Construction on the church began 2 January 1858, primarily through the efforts of Father Timothy Bermingham, a native of Ireland. Granite from a local quarry was used and Irish stonemasons were brought from Europe to carve the stone of St. Mary&rsquos walls.

Established in 1836, The Edgefield Advertiser is the longest continuing newspaper in South Carolina. Make sure you drop by to say hello and you just might find yourself in next week&rsquos edition!

Located along Courthouse Square (on the opposite corner across from the Courthouse), the History Wall details Edgefield history from local Native American tribes to the 21st century on informational panels. *Geocache Location

It is the oldest church building now standing in the town of Edgefield and perhaps the oldest brick building in the area. Trinity Episcopal Church was built on land deeded by Edmund B. Bacon to the Wardens and Vestrymen on September 15, 1835 and the building was completed in 1836.

Willowbrook Cemetery is the second most historic cemetery in South Carolina, and is overflowing with &ldquoresidents&rdquo who carved their place in local, state, and national history. The oldest marked grave in Willowbrook belongs to Pierre LaBorde who was a native of France and died in 1820, aged about 50 years.


Philippi

Philippi was an important city in eastern Macedon which flourished in the Hellenistic, Roman, and Byzantine Periods. Situated between the Strymon and Nestos rivers, the city was valued in antiquity for its nearby gold mines. Site of the famous Battle of Philippi at the end of the Roman Republic, the city prospered in the Roman imperial era and, after a visit from St. Paul, became an important centre of early Christianity. Philippi continued to flourish as a major Byzantine city. Today the archaeological site has substantial remains including a theatre and four basilicas. Philippi is listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.

Período helenístico

According to tradition, the city, under its first name of Crenides (or Datum), was founded c. 360 BCE by settlers from nearby Thasos who were led by the Athenian Kallistratos. There is no archaeological evidence of a significant settlement prior to the 4th century BCE but there had been small communities in the area since Neolithic times as attested by local rock art.

Anuncio publicitario

When Krenides was attacked by Thracians the inhabitants looked to Philip II of Macedon for protection. Philip, no doubt with an eye on the wealth of the local gold mines, responded by taking the city and renaming it Philippi (or Philippoi), after himself, in c. 357 BCE. Fortifications and a theatre were amongst the architectural additions made under Philip's reign and he also drained the surrounding swamps. The city maintained its independence but to ensure continued loyalty from this new asset a number of Macedonians were permanently relocated to the city. According to the ancient historian Diodorus, the mines near Philippi produced a very respectable 1,000 talents each year.

Following the death of Alexander and the subsequent Successor Wars, Phillipi was much sought after for its gold and convenient harbour, Neapolis (modern Kavala) but continued to act as an independent city under the Antigonid regime. This is attested in a decree found on Kos which dates to 243 BCE and which grants the island's sanctuary to Hera the right of asylum.

Anuncio publicitario

Roman Period

When the Romans defeated the Macedon king at the Battle of Pydna in 168 BCE, they divided Macedonia into four administrative districts. Philippi is not mentioned specifically but it is assumed it was in the first zone, the prima regio. In 146 BCE Macedon became a single Roman province and Philippi one of its prominent centres. The city benefitted greatly from the construction of the via Egnatia, the major road which connected the area to the Adriatic in the south and the Dardanelles in the north. A well-planned forum was built, along with a basilica, and a commercial street joined the heart of the city to the via Egnatia.

In 42 BCE the city famously gave its name to the battle which saw Mark Antony and Octavian gain revenge on Julius Caesar's assassins, Brutus and Cassius. The battle had involved the largest number of troops in Roman warfare up to that point. 19 legions of 110,000 men on the Triumvirate side faced 17 Republican legions of 90,000 men, and the result was 40,000 casualties and another nail in the coffin of the Republic.

Regístrese para recibir nuestro boletín semanal gratuito por correo electrónico.

Philippi then became a Roman colony settled by army veterans and produced its own coinage. When Octavian defeated Mark Antony at the Battle of Actium in 31 BCE, the city received another influx of new residents, this time settlers who had lost their land during reforms in Italy. From 27 BCE the city gained the honorary title of Colonia Iulia Augusta Philippensis.

The first Christian church in Europe was founded at Philippi (built on top of a tomb of a Hellenistic hero) which had become an important early Christian centre following a visit to the city by Paul the Apostle in 49 CE. Lydia was notable as the first European to be baptized there. In the following centuries Philippi flourished and benefitted from an extensive building programme. In Late Antiquity Philippi was a prominent city in the Eastern Empire and an episcopal seat. Once more the city's urban landscape evolved to include large churches, towered buildings, and new city walls.

Anuncio publicitario

Archaeological Remains

Portions of the city's fortifications, built by Philip and employing large marble blocks, are still visible today. The walls originally encircled the city and joined the nearby hill which protrudes from Mt. Orvelos. The ancient fortified acropolis was built on top of this hill and a square tower from the Byzantine period, built during the reign of Justinian I (527 to 565 CE), still stands there. The city's outer fortifications had square towers built at intervals and gates gave access to the city, three of which survive today. The eastern Naples Gate, which led to the port of Neapolis, has a tower on each side.

The 4th-century BCE theatre built by Philip II, one of the largest built in Greece, has been excavated and been partially reconstructed. The forum, built around a central square, can be seen today, as can four support pillars of its basilica (Basilica B) built c. 550 CE and which had three aisles and a dome. A curiosity is the so-called 'cell of St. Paul' where it is claimed the apostle was imprisoned but it is, in fact, an old water cistern which was subsequently converted into a cult shrine. On the other side of the via Egnatia, opposite the forum and reached by a monumental staircase, was another basilica (known simply as Basilica A) which was constructed in the 5th century CE. Measuring 130 x 50 metres and having three aisles, it was the largest basilica built in that period.

Anuncio publicitario

Finally, the small first Christian church has a surviving mosaic floor with an inscription indicating that the church was dedicated to St. Paul. The church was replaced by a larger octagonal one, built on the same site c. 400 CE. This new building had a double colonnade inside and a pyramid roof but was altered some 50 years later to take on a square form. The area around the church was made into an enclosure with stoas (colonnaded halls), accommodation for pilgrims, a large two-storey bishopric building for priests, and a monumental gate leading to the via Egnatia.


Landmarks, Historical Sites and Points of Interest in the Sunshine State

African American History in the Keys Spanish Colonial Sites in Pensacola Smalltown Downtowns Family-Friendly Lighthouses The Culture of the Forgotten Coast True Ghost Town Tales Historia de los nativos americanos The Maritime Heritage Trail

History is repeating itself at the site of a historic Black cemetery in Bethesda, Maryland

Peter Paul Brown must be turning in his grave if he knows about the kerfuffle over one of the cemeteries owned by the Black benevolent organization he founded in 186 7 . The Philadelphia physician who lived between c. 1822 and 1882 established the Ancient United Order of Sons and Daughters, Brothers and Sisters of Moses — the Moses Order — to provide death benefits, healthcare, and other social welfare services for African Americans in a deeply segregated Reconstruction era America. Brown was a skilled entrepreneur and he held tight to his intellectual property and the organization’s name. That name is now the center of a fight over land in suburban Maryland just across the border with Washington, D.C. , where activists claim hundreds of bodies are buried beneath a parking lot and construction site.

The site is one of many abandoned and desecrated African American burial grounds throughout the United States for which activists are seeking recognition, protection, and commemoration. One of the best known examples is t he cemetery where the African Burial Ground National Monument was established in Manhattan. Massive protests and congressional hearings brought the issue to headlines in newspapers around the nation in the early 1990s.

African Burial Ground Way, New York, New York, 2018.

In 201 5 , the Montgomery County, Maryland, Planning Department began holding public hearings for a new sector plan in a mostly commercial area in unincorporated Bethesda. Planners disclosed that their research had uncovered the likely site of a historic African American cemetery in their study area. It had been documented in old maps and in a local history book but had been mostly forgotten since the 1960s when heavy equipment ex cavated much of the site to construct a high-rise apartment building and grade a surface parking lot. None of the graves was professionally excavated to relocate the bodies buried there.

The cemetery had been owned by White’s Tabernacle No. 39, a subordinate Moses Order founded in Washington in 187 6 . Displaced by suburban encroachment in 1910, White’s Tabernacle in 1911 bought an acre of land near River Road in a Black enclave founded just after the end of the Civil War. Before the war, the land had been occupied by plantations with enslaved workforces. After the war, the small rural community simply called itself by the name of the road along which its residents had settled.

When White’s Tabernacle bought its land along River Road, the enclave included Black-owned homes and businesses and one of the county’s “colored” schools. Less than a year after buying the property , White’s Tabernacle began burying its members in its cemetery. Because Congress controlled the District of Columbia government, federal l egislation was required to allow the organization to relocate about 192 graves from the cemetery it had owned in Washington since 1881. The bill enabling the relocation was introduced in 191 4 and it didn’t pass until 1921, more than a decade after White’s Tabernacle abandoned its original cemetery.

1894 Washington, D.C., real estate atlas with White’s Tabernacle No. 39 cemetery circled (lower right) in the copy in the collections of the Library of Congress.

White’s Tabernacle No. 39 cemetery in Washington, D.C. with 37th Street superimposed. Legislative Archives, U.S. National Archives.

By 1924 , a new road had been built over the cemetery and there is no surviving evidence that any of the people buried there were relocated to River Road.

Chevy Chase Parkway (former 37th Street) at the White’s Tabernacle No. 39 cemetery site, 2017.

Fast-forward a centur y to Macedonia Baptist Church. Founded in 1920, the church is the last surviving River Road Black cultural institution. The church’s social justice ministry leader, Marsha Coleman-Adebayo, attended the Bethesda planning meetings where county planners mentioned the cemetery. A veteran activist best known for leading a whistleblower campaign against the EPA ending in litigation and a landmark law , Coleman-Adebayo mobilized members of her congregation and local anti-racism advocates.

Macedonia Baptist Church, River Road, Bethesda, Maryland.

The y began holding rallies at the cemetery site and protests in local government agency hearing rooms beneath banners that evolved from reading “Bethesda African Cemetery Project” to “Save Moses Cemetery.”

Marsha Coleman-Adebayo inspects an early banner used during a protest at a Montgomery County Housing Opportunities Commission meeting in November 2017.

Support Moses African Cemetery banner used in a rally at the Bethesda cemetery site, November 2017.

Starting today’s press conference off with a beautiful rendition of Dr. Karen’s This Is The Scene of a Crime! #SaveMosesCemetery pic.twitter.com/MzblS5yc7e

&mdash Bethesda African Cemetery Coalition (@BethAfrCemetery) August 12, 2020

And that’s where Peter Paul Brown comes in. He and the descendants of White’s Tabernacle , along with folks in a dispersed descendant community elsewhere in Montgomery County and Washington , were never really a part of Coleman-Adebayo’s campaign. Instead, Coleman-Adebayo reached out to a small group of church members and allies . She has drawn from a wellspring of urban legends, conspiracy theories, and Wikipedia history to cobble together a story about life , death , and desecration in the River Road community that is untethered from a small but substantive documentary record that tells a different story.

As a consultant to the activists who formed the Bethesda African Cemetery Coalition, I researched the history of the White’s Tabernacle cemetery and the people who owned it. My work began uncovering facts that were not consistent with Coleman-Adebayo’s narrative that closely connects her church with the cemetery.

Testimony submitted to the Montgomery County County Council by former Macedonia Baptist Church pastor Rev. Sterling King emphasizing the fact that the church never owned the White’s Tabernacle property.

My research identified a wider descendant community than Coleman-Adebayo claimed. And, my work conclusively demonstrated that the White’s Tabernacle cemetery was more of a Washington-based institution than one closely affiliated with River Road’s residents and Macedonia Baptist Church. Displeased by my documentation , Coleman-Adebayo and her coalition pursued different research partners to document the cemetery and community’s history.

Among the people I identified as potential stakeholders and descendants were the residents of nearby Cabin John, another formerly rural community once associated with Montgomery County’s African Americans that was being absorbed by suburbanization and gentrification.

Concrete grave marker, Morningstar Tabernacle No. 88 cemetery, Cabin John, Maryland.

Cabin John also had a Moses Order, the Morningstar Tabernacle No. 88. In addition to a cemetery, the Cabin John Moses order also had a meeting hall. And, historians and archaeologists have documented overlapping memberships among the White’s Tabernacle and Morningstar lodges during the early twentieth century.

The Save Moses Cemetery crowd never invited the Morningstar Lodge descendant community to be part of their ad vocacy to save the River Road cemetery. Earlier this year, as tempers flared during coalition protests at a construction site next to the former cemetery site, the Morningstar Lodge descendant community [PDF] wrote to Coleman-Adebayo asking that she discontinue using the “Moses” name.

“W e as descendants of the Morningstar No. 88 lodge of the Order of Moses in Cabin John write to disagree with the narrative being put forth by the Bethesda African Cemetery Coalition (BACC) , regarding the Moses Cemetery on River Road in Bethesda ,” they wrote in an August 2020 letter sent to Montgomery County officials. “ We note with alarm that the BACC narrative about the River Road Moses Cemetery does not rest in facts but instead relies on incendiary language and false claims.”

The 2020 request mirrors some of the same control that Brown tried to exert over the name back in the 1870s when White’s Tabernacle was founded in what is now Washington’s Tenleytown neighborhood. Henry White, the local order’s namesake, along with several neighbors formed a subordinate Moses Order without first getting Brown’s consent to incorporate in the District of Columbia using the name Brown had copyrighted.

Peter P. Brown’s original 1872 copyright for the Moses Order name.

Brown sued in federal court. He charged that the Washington order had violated his copyright by using the Moses Order name. Brown alleged that the Washington order “wickedly, maliciously, unlawfully and fraudulently ” intended to injure Brown by appropriating the name he created.

1877 restraining order issued in the Brown v. Moses case.

Brown lost his case in 1879 because the court found that a copyright wasn’t the same thing as a corporate charte r . It created a rift among Washington’s original Moses Order members resulting in the founding of White’s Tabernacle No. 39 by a splinter group associated with the parties Brown sued. More than a century later, it looks like history is repeating itself in Bethesda , pitting one group laying claim to the Moses name and legacy against another.


DUVAL COUNTY

JACKSONVILLE

Ritz Theatre & Museum

You’ll find The Ritz Theatre & Museum in Jacksonville’s historic African American community of La Villa, heralded as the “Harlem of the South” during its heyday in the 1920s-1960s. The Ritz Theatre & Museum highlights the story of James Weldon Johnson and John Rosamond Johnson, Jacksonville natives who composed the African-American national hymn, “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing.” It also invites visitors to explore recreations of streets showcasing how African Americans in Jacksonville lived. On weekends, nationally renowned African American performers thrill sold-out crowds at the Ritz Theatre.

Kingsley Plantation

As Jacksonville's oldest residential home and Florida's last remaining plantation home, it’s hard to overstate the historic importance of the Kingsley Plantation. The Plantation dates back to 1814, and offers remarkably preserved slave quarters, a barn, the plantation house and a kitchen house. Weekend tours of the Planter’s home are available by reservation.

J.P. Small Memorial Stadium, also known as Durkee Field

Though the name of the stadium has often changed – it’s been called Barrs Field, the Myrtle Avenue Ball Park, Joseph H. Durkee Athletic Field, and currently James P. Small Memorial Stadium – its purpose has not it’s been the epicenter of organized baseball in Jacksonville since 1911.
Major league teams have employed the field for spring training and exhibition games, and minor league teams that include as the Jacksonville Tars (Jacksonville Braves) and the Jacksonville Red Caps of the Negro League have used it as their home base.
In 1953, the Jacksonville Braves defied the traditions of the South Atlantic League by adding three African American players to their ranks. That changed history one of the players was 19-year-old, Henry “Hank” Aaron, who played at Durkee Field for one year before being moved to the Milwaukee Braves.

Edward Waters College

Of the four colleges formed during the Reconstruction to provide necessary educational opportunities and teacher training for Florida’s African American citizens that were recently emancipated from slavery, Edward Waters College is the oldest. The College began in the late 1860’s, using several different names and locations in 1891, it acquired its current name.

Old Brewster Hospital

843 West Monroe Street (in La Villa)

The first medical facility to serve Jacksonville’s African-American community, the Old Brewster Hospital and Nursing Training School was built in 1885 as a private residence. In 1901, the hospital opened its doors to the public, thanks to the work of the Women’s Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Matilda Cutting Brewster of Connecticut, deserves special recognition she donated $1,000 in honor of her late husband, the Rev. George A. Brewster, to help start the hospital.
Home and School, a private institution for African-American girls, was one of the first nursing training programs in Florida. To say its students were welcomed by the community is an understatement: they made 1,230 house calls in 1901. The rapidly-growing hospital outgrew its first facility and relocated to another La Villa location in 1910 by 1931 it had moved again, this time to a spacious brick structure in the Old Sugar Hill neighborhood. With the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the Brewster Hospital closed in 1966 only to reopen in 1967 as the Methodist Hospital. In 2005, the Old Brewster Hospital building was moved to its present site from its original location at 915 West Monroe Street.

Durkeeville Museum

Discover the story of historic Durkeeville and its African-American residents, showcased in the museum’s artifacts, pictures, videos, and its ever-growing catalog of oral histories. Admission is available by appointment, so please call in advance.

The Eartha M.M. White Museum

613 West Ashley Street

Using her own kitchen, Clara White provided food and assistance to the needy. Eartha White, Clara’s daughter, continued and expanded the tradition, organizing the Clara White Mission in 1932. Her accomplishments include helping found the first retirement home for Jacksonville’s African American seniors, establishing the Milnor Street Nursery, a tuberculosis sanitarium for African Americans, and Oakland Park, the first municipal playground reserved for African American children. She was the first paid employee of the Afro-American Life Insurance Company, and is heralded for saving the company’s records during the Great Fire of 1901. She taught for 16 years, and was also one of the first paid social workers for Duval County as well as the first African American census taker. You can explore the remarkable lives and careers of these two women through a virtual walking tour of the museum.

Old Stanton High School

521 W. Broad St. (PRIVATE)

Edwin M. Stanton, a vocal abolitionist and Secretary of War under Abraham Lincoln, would be proud of his namesake, Stanton High School. Established in 1868 by the Trustees of Florida Institute, the school holds bragging rights as the first public black school in Jacksonville and the only black high school in the country at the time. One alumnus is James Weldon Johnson, the first African American to pass the Florida bar exam, and the lyricist of Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing, considered ‘the black national anthem.’ Johnson served as the school’s principal from 1894 to 1902. Closed as a public school in 1971, the building now houses a private school.

Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing Park

Intersection of Houston and Lee Street

The NAACP has declared “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing,” written in the late 1800s, as the “Black National Anthem.” The park marks the birth site of James Weldon Johnson, who wrote the song with his brother John Rosamond Johnson, and encompasses three historical markers, one for each brother and one for the song. Plans to further develop the site are in the planning stages.

Hemming Plaza, ‘Ax Handle Saturday’

135 Monroe Street West

Hemming Plaza was the site of a brutal event known as ‘Ax Handle Saturday.’
In the late 1950s and early 1960s racial unrest simmered in the South, thanks to the glacially slow progress being made segregating public facilities, schools and businesses as well as a lack of economic equality. In Jacksonville, under the direction of local social studies teacher Rutledge Pearson, members of the Youth Council of the Jacksonville branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People reacted by organizing non-violent civil rights demonstrations -- often marked by a violent response from those who preferred to maintain the status quo.
After numerous sit-ins at the lunch counters of several downtown department stores, members of the Youth Council were ferociously attacked by segregationists equipped with axe handles and baseball bats. This event, which occurred on August 27, 1960, is known as “Ax Handle Saturday.” The notoriety of “Ax Handle Saturday,” and later demonstrations in 1964, played a large part in ending segregation and improving race relations in Jacksonville.

Mount Olive AME Church

Pioneer African-American builder and designer Richard L. Brown, who served two consecutive terms in the Florida House of Representatives, designed and constructed the Mount Olive A.M.E. Church in 1922. Brown also purchased ground in Campbell’s Addition, subsequently deeding part of it to the Duval County School Board for an elementary school that was named in his honor, and constructed Centennial Hall at Edward Waters College in 1916.

Mandarin School House

The last remaining one-room schoolhouse in Duval County, St. Joseph’s Mission Schoolhouse for African-American Children invites you to delve into its storied past. When the Civil War ended in 1865, black children had new opportunities for formal education --but because of racial prejudice, black and white students couldn’t be taught together.
The Sisters of St. Joseph, members of a Roman Catholic religious order from France, dedicated themselves to teaching black children in post-war Florida. They founded their first Mandarin school in 1868 and built the Mandarin Schoolhouse in 1898 expressly for the education of black Mandarin children.
This unique building now highlights the history of the schoolhouse and others like it that no longer exist. The Museum is open Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. the park is open daily from dawn to dusk.

Old City Cemetery

East Union Street and Cemetery Street

Established in 1852, you’ll find this cemetery just northeast of downtown Jacksonville in the Oakland neighborhood. The cemetery was originally situated on a four-acre square, but expanded another two acres to the north in 1869, primarily to serve as a burial ground for African -Americans.
Prior to Evergreen Cemetery opening in 1881 and Memorial Cemetery in 1911, this part of Old City Cemetery, known as the Duval Colored Cemetery or the “Freedmen’s Cemetery”, was the preferred final resting place for many of Jacksonville’s prominent African-American families. It houses the graves of 50 African American veterans, commonly referred to as Buffalo Soldiers, including several that served in the Union army.

Clara’s at the Cathedral

St. John’s Cathedral, 256 E. Church Street

This culinary training café promises visitors an upscale menu and a tasty afternoon in the Cathedral’s historic Taliaferro Hall. “Clara’s at the Cathedral” is an offshoot of Clara White’s Culinary Arts Program, providing students with extensive hands-on training in production, presentation and front of the house restaurant service every Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. All proceeds directly benefit the Clara White Culinary Training Program.

Norman Film Studios

Jacksonville was home to more than 30 silent film studios from 1908 through 1922, calling itself the “World’s Winter Film Capital.” When Richard E. Norman, Sr. purchased The Eagle Film City in 1922, he was one of the first independent movie producers to realize the financial potential of making films featuring all-black casts for African American communities. Though the studio was filling an obvious gap, Norman’s reason to produce race films wasn’t only a business decision he also wanted to make a positive impact on race relations. Norman produced eight feature films between 1920 and 1928 including The Green- Eyed Monster (1920), The Crimson Skull (1921), The Bull-Dogger (1921), Regeneration (1923), A Debtor to the Law (1924), The Flying Ace (1926), and The Black Gold (1928). In contrast to the majority of silent screen era movies, Norman’s films were free of racial stereotypes and depicted African Americans in an upbeat light. Just one of Norman’s films, The Flying Ace, is known to still exist, but the five buildings that formed the studios remain.

Mount Zion A.M.E. Church

Stunning, red and proud, this brick building boasts arched windows and doors, art-glass windows, and an imposing bell tower. The church was born in 1866, organized by a group of Freedmen that settled in Jacksonville just after the end of the Civil War. The present building is the sixth built after the previous 1,500-seat church was demolished by the Great Fire of 1901. Mount Zion A.M.E. was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 30, 1992 and designated a local landmark on May 10, 1994.

Mother Midway A.M.E. Church

1456 Van Buren Street

During and immediately following the Civil War, many African-American churches were built in Florida, usually independent, community-based congregations that a minister organized. The first official religious group created by Freedmen under the authority of a national denomination was in 1865, when William G. Stewart, an ex-slave, was appointed pastor of Florida by the South Carolina Conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The day after arriving in Jacksonville on June 9, 1865, Reverend Steward met with a group from a tiny settlement east of Jacksonville called Midway to organize the first AME Church in Florida. Still situated in East Jacksonville, the Mother Midway A.M.E. Church is now renowned as the “mother” of the Florida Conference of the A.M.E. Church, organized in 1867, and the East Florida Conference, established in 1877.

Bethel Baptist Institutional Church

1058 Bethel Baptist Way

The first organized Baptist church in Jacksonville, Bethel Baptist Institutional Church dates back to 1838. Originally its congregation embraced both white and black members, but following the Civil War, white members went to court in a bid to remove the blacks. The court ruled in favor of the black members ultimately the black members got to keep the name Bethel Baptist Church, and received a cash settlement as well.
The sanctuary built after the Great Fire of 1901 was finished in 1904. The design, by New York architect M. H. Hubbard, features an imposing, ornate bell tower and octagonal steeple. Bethel Baptist was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 6, 1978, and was designated a local landmark on March 11, 1997.

A Pensacola native, Chappie James became the first black four-star general in American military history in 1976.


National Register Features

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

African American History Month (February)
Visit this National Register feature that showcases publications, historic properties listed in the National Register, and National Park units commemorating the events and people, the designs and achievements that help illustrate African American contributions to American history.

Women's History Month (March)
This National Register feature showcases historic properties listed in the National Register, National Register publications, and National Park units commemorating the events and people, as well as the designs and achievements illustrating the contribution of women to American history.

Landscape Architecture Month (April)
This National Register feature showcases historic properties listed in the National Register, National Register publications, and National Park units commemorating the events and people, the designs and achievements that help illustrate the contributions of Landscape Architecture to the Nation's history.

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (May)
In this National Register feature, learn about historic places listed in the National Register, just a few of the publications, and National Park units significant for their association with the remarkable history and achievements of Asian and Pacific Americans.

Preservation Month (May)
Communities and states throughout the United States celebrating the National Trust for Historic Preservation's Preservation Month. Our feature links to many web sites important to historic preservation.

Jewish American Heritage Month (May)
The National Register of Historic Places is pleased to promote awareness of and appreciation for the historical accomplishments of Jewish Americans during Jewish American Heritage Month.

Great Outdoors Month (June)
The National Register of Historic Places is pleased to promote awareness of and appreciation for Great Outdoors Month.

Back to School: (Early September) The National Register of Historic Places lists many properties significant for education. We are pleased to promote the awareness of and appreciation for education related properties.

Hispanic Heritage (September 15-October 15)
Visit this National Register feature highlighting various publications, properties listed in the National Register, and National Parks that deal directly with the ingenuity, creativity, and cultural and political experiences of Hispanic Americans.

National American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month (Noviembre)
This feature highlights various publications, properties listed in the National Register, and National Parks that recognize the events and lifeways, the designs and achievements of American Indians.

Maritime Heritage (December)
The National Register of Historic Places is pleased to promote awareness of and appreciation for historic aids to navigation and their role in maritime heritage.



Comentarios:

  1. Ainsley

    ¿Quizás está mal?

  2. Makolm

    De nuevo, ¿cómo opciones?

  3. Apollo

    No os dejéis engañar en este sentido.

  4. Arvis

    Hay algo en esto. Gracias por su ayuda, ¿cómo puedo agradecerle?

  5. Minoru

    Muy curiosamente :)



Escribe un mensaje